Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Comes the Dawn

Many, many years ago (so many that I don't even know the exact number) I came across the following poem. I was so struck by it because it was to me the poetic version of Gloria Gaynor's scorned woman's anthem, "I Will Survive." It reminds you that everyone gets hurt sometimes, it's a part of life and one thing about life that's certain is - it goes on. I committed this poem to memory at one point (I think too many nights in college messing with the chronic, erased some of my memory) but it was nice to come across it again and see how far I've come in learning how to take care of me. It' s a piece of wisdom I'll pass along to my daughter some day.

After a while you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
and company isn't security.
Kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises.

After awhile you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes open,
with the grace of a woman,
not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain
and the inevitable has a way of crumbling in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns
if you stand too long in one place.

So, you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone else to bring you flowers.

And you learn you really can endure,
that you really do have worth.

You learn that with every good-bye
comes the dawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home